Deep Thought

Sharing my thoughts with you :D

Saturday, August 02, 2008

God is good.

2 days classes, 3 days clinicals , 1 day working, 1 day Sabbath (Thank God for Sabbath!!), but that's it!!
Study after classes, papers to hand in every week, quizes, exams... I wonder when are we going to have time to think about what we are actually doing? barely exercise, eat whatsoever leftover food in freezer, sleep deprived, how in the world are we expected to have energy and remember everything we should know to treat our patients? And yet incredibly, we survived!! God is good.
Who says nursing school is easy? we have to know how to read the EKG, normal range of everything, lab values, nursing managements, care plans, what to do, what to say, how to talk, how to react, and who to call. And those are just part of the requirements. Reading thick lecture notes and textbooks, doing research writings, memorizing the signs and symptoms of all diseases, knowing the pathophysiology and etiology of all illness, remembering those treatments--pharmacological and non-pharmacological, interpreting patient's non-verbal reaction towards treatment, and so on and so forth. I am stunned. No wonder nurses are nurses!! I should say we are the backbones of both patients and physicians!! Mind me, I am not boasting. Nurses have great liability for lawsuits.
With all the loads carried on our back, we are treating patients, I wonder how we can do it? No wonder some have been doing just the "basic" treatment to patients (at least I have heard stories about some healthcare people), yet, I see other nurses could go beyond-- taking time to listen and empathizing for the patients, arranging for a shelter for homeless patients after discharged, giving hope to patients to live, praying for patients at their bedside, saying comfort words to patients. They are not only being good to patients, but to their colleagues also. They considered everyone in the unit as team members, from the housekeepers to the physicians. The best part is that these nurses are respectful and supportive to both patients and colleagues without any discriminations to personalities and their background. I am thankful I met these nurses. I have great models. They are just so nice.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home